Bengaluru: Covid-19 vaccination for the age group of 18-45 will not begin from May 1 as announced earlier due to various reasons including non-receipt of supply, Karnataka Minister for Health Dr K Sudhakar said on Friday.
He asked those aged between 18 to 45 to register on the Co-Win portal and wait for the government to inform them once new stocks arrive.
This comes in wake of massive vaccine shortages reported in the state and the Karnataka government said that the vaccination drive for the 18-45 age group will take place only in a phased manner. “So far, the Government of India has supplied 99.40 lakh doses of vaccine to the state and 93.50 lakh doses have been administered. Around 5.9 lakh doses are available,” Chief Minister BS Yediyurappa said in a statement on April 29 evening.
“The state government is procuring 1 crore doses of vaccine. Work order has been placed to procure one crore additional doses of vaccine. The fourth phase of vaccination drive will be taken up in stages,” he added.
He said under these circumstances, vaccination drives will continue based on availability of vaccines. The drive will be planned to ensure systematic, disciplined and smooth implementation. This statement comes as Karnataka is under a two-week lockdown as the state is struggling to cope up with the increase in caseload and people are dying for want of oxygen, ICU and ventilator beds.