“Nutritious, colorful and mouthwatering Vegan Chickpea Burger”
2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flax seed plus 6 tablespoons water)
3 cans chickpeas
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped cauliflower
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1 cup gluten free oats
1 cup almond meal
3/4 cup Buffalo cayenne pepper type hot sauce
Himalayan pink salt and ground black pepper to taste- if needed
sprouted wheat or gluten-free buns
- Mix 2 tablespoon ground flax seed with 6 tablespoons warm water in a small bowl and set aside for 10 minutes to make flax eggs.
- Chop chickpeas, carrots, celery and cauliflower in a food processor until chunky but not pasty. It’s best to chop separately. Put into a large bowl. Slice/chop green onions and add to the bowl.
- Next add the gluten free oats,almond meal, flax eggs and Buffalo wing sauce and mix well. Add salt and pepper if needed, start with a few shakes of each and taste until you get the flavor you want.
- Mix well with your hands to get everything mashed together well into a firm, but slightly, wet dough.
- Once you get the taste you like,allow mixture to set a while so oats soak in some liquid (you can also do this after you shape into burgers).This really helps with consistency so that they are not mushy, but have a firmer bite.
- Shape into 4 inch patties (you can use a burger press if you have one),then cook on stove top over medium heat in a medium sized pan for 4-5 minutes on each side (depending on stove).
- Make sure to keep pan covered to help the burger cook through-out and achieve the best texture possible. This helps prevent a mushy burger. Check every few minutes to prevent burning, should be slightly browned when ready.
- Allow the burgers to cool a bit to further help set them into a non mushy consistency, then serve on buns and with toppings of choice