“Crispy and tasty Vegan Aloo Tuk”
3 to 4 potatoes (aloo)
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
½ teaspoon red chilly powder (lal mirch powder)
½ teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
½ teaspoon cumin seeds powder (jeera, optional)
½ teaspoon dry mango powder (amchur powder)
rock salt or black salt or regular salt
oil for frying potatoes
- Peel 4 medium sized potatoes.
- Then rinse the potatoes in running water and wipe them dry with a kitchen napkin.
- Now you can cut the aloo in slightly thick rounds or cut it vertically into wedges.
- Now rub some salt on the chopped potato slices. if making aloo tuk for religious fast or vrat, then add rock salt(sendha namak) instead of regular salt.
- Toss them well and deep fry them in hot oil, till they are slightly cooked and tender (or half cooked).
- Remove them from oil. slightly flatten them with a the back of a ladle or spoon.
- Now again fry them in hot oil till they are crisp and golden brown.
- Remove them on a clean tissue paper so that the extra oil gets absorbed.
- Place the fried potato slices in a bowl. Add them when they are still hot.
- Add all the spice powders mentioned above on the fried potato slices.
- You can increase or decrease the quantity of the spice powders as per your taste. mix well.
- Aloo tuk goes as a good accompaniment or side dish with dal-rice combo or curd curry-rice combo.
- Serve aloo tuk hot with mint chutney. You could also have it plain.