“Quick and easy to made Mutton Stew With Chickpea”
oil for frying
onions 2, chopped
red chilli 1, seeded and diced
garlic 2 cloves, crushed
lamb leg steaks 2 (about 450g), fat trimmed and cut int chunks
ground cinnamon 1 tsp
ground cumin 1 tsp
cardamom 3 pods, bashed
saffron a pinch or ½ tsp turmeric
chicken stock 400ml
tomato purée 1 tbsp
pomegranate molasses 1 tbsp
chickpeas 400g ,rinsed and drained
mint or coriander a small bunch, chopped
pomegranate seeds 4 tbsp
cucumber ½, seeded and sliced
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a casserole, and fry the onions with a pinch of salt for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the chilli and garlic for a minute, then add the lamb and cook for 5 minutes until brown.
- Stir in the spices, fry for a minute, then add the stock, purée and molasses. Cover with a lid, and cook for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chickpeas, season and cook for another 30 minutes until the lamb is tender.
- Scatter some herbs and pomegranate seeds over the lamb and serve with the
remaining pomegranate tossed with the cucumber