For the dough
3 cup Whole Wheat Flour
Salt , to taste
2 tablespoons Ghee
Water , as needed, for kneading
FOR THE COCONUT FILLING
250 grams Fresh coconut, grated
160 grams Palm jaggery , powdered
1 teaspoon Cardamom Powder (Elaichi)
1 teaspoon Ghee
- To begin making the Thengai Poli Recipe first sieve the wheat flour and salt together in a large mixing bowl. Add water a little at a time to knead to make a soft dough. Adding enough water is critical, so the dough is soft and pliable. Add ghee and knead again. Knead the dough well to form a smooth dough. Once done make a smooth ball of the dough, cover the bowl and keep aside for 2 hours.
2. In the meanwhile, prepare the sweet coconut filling. To do this, first heat a pan and add 1 teaspoon ghee. Next add the grated coconut, cardamom powder and palm jaggery to it.
3. Stir well on a low flame for 5-8 mins till all the moisture is absorbed and the coconut mix comes together with the jag-gery. Once the poli filling mixture has come together, turnoff the heat and allow the mixture to cool.
4. When it has cooled, divide it into equal sized portions and form balls the size of medium lemons.
5. Now, take the dough that’s been resting and divide it into equal sized portions.Keeping a little flour for dusting handy on a plate; roll out the dough into 3 inch diameter circles. Place a portion of he filling (puran) mixture into the center of the circle.Bring edges of the circle towards the center and fold over to cover the entire filling; making sure the edges are all sealed well by pinching them together if there is any open-ing.
6. Flatten the stuffed poli; dust the dough in a little flour and roll gently into a 5 to 6 inch diameter circle taking care not to put too much pressure as the filling can come out of the dough. The Thengai Poli should be thin and not thick. Once done, we will proceed to cook the poli.
7. Preheat an iron skillet on medium high; place the rolledpoli’s onto the skillet to cook until golden brown on both sides. You can cook the poli’s with ghee to give it a richer taste and flavor.
8. Repeat the above process for all the remaining dough and puran portions and serve hot.