New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Thursday set aside a petition seeking a stay on the release of an upcoming film ‘Nyay: The Justice’, based on late Hindi film actor Sushant Rajput.
A single bench of Justice Sanjeev Narula refused to grant an ex-parte, ad-interim injunction to restrain filmmakers from using Sushant’s name caricature, lifestyle or likeness in their forthcoming films or projects.
Sushant Singh Rajput’s father Krishna Kishore Singh had filed a civil suit earlier this year against the proposed movies on the late actor’s life saying that the people were taking undue advantage of his son’s death.
“Defendants (filmmakers), taking advantage of the situation, have been trying to encash this opportunity… plays, movies, web-series, books, interviews or other material may be published which would harm the reputation of the son of the plaintiff and his family,” the petition argued.
Besides, It sought Rs 2 crore damages for “loss of reputation, mental trauma and harassment”.
In April, the court had asked the producers of various movies to respond to Sushant Rajput’s father’s plea.
Appearing for the plaintiff, senior Advocate Vikas Singh said Mr Kishor Singh feared that several plays, movies, web series, books, interviews or other material might be published which would harm the reputation of Sushant and his family.
In the absence of permission, the plea said that any publication, production, or depiction of the private life of Sushant Singh Rajput was a blatant and wilful breach of fundamental right to privacy which cannot be taken away without the prior approval of his legal heir.
Though the court refused to grant a stay, it directed the defendants to submit all details of royalty, licensing, pro licensing, profits made from the movies to the Joint Registrar.
Senior Advocate Chander Lall and Advocate Hiren Kamod appeared for the Director and Producers of the film.
Other forthcoming movies based on Sushant Rajput’s life are ‘Suicide or Murder: A Star Was Lost’, ‘Shashank’ and yet to be named project.
Thirty-four-year-old Sushant Singh Rajput was found dead at his Mumbai residence on June 15, 2020. The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) is conducting a probe into his death.