Self-management is a key skill that helps you throughout your life. It involves setting goals and managing your time. Developing your motivation and concentration skills will help you to overcome the lure of procrastination. Effective self-management will help you to avoid stress and provide you with more opportunities to get involved in fun campus actitivies. Self management skills are the currency of todays successful person. Its not just about self discipline and work ethic, its also about knowing what your strengths and weaknesses are.Self education and self development are of more importance than anything anybody can give us. We ourselves are responsible for everything that happens in our life. We must learn to accept total responsibility for ourselves. If we do not manage ourselves , then we are letting other have control of our life.
Here are few tips that will help you to manage yourself. Self-management will , in turn, lead you to the path of success.
- Look at every new opportunity as an exciting, new life experience.
- Exhibit self confidence and self assurance in your potential to complete your task.
- Agree with yourself in advance that you will have a good attitude toward the upcoming task.
- Frequently ask, “Is what I am doing right now moving me towards my goals ?”
- Do it right the first time and you will not have to take time out later, to fix it.
- Accept responsibility for your job successes and failures. Do not look for a scapegoat.
- Do not view things you do as a “Job”. View all activities as a challenge.
- Use your subconscious mind by telling it to do what you do want. Instead of telling yourself, “I can’t do that very well, “ say, “I can do this very well.”
- Give yourself points for completing tasks on your “to-do” list in priority order.
- Practise your personal beliefs. It may be helpful each morning to take 15 minutes to gather your thoughts and say a prayer.
- Practise self-determination, wanting to do it for yourself.
- Believe that you can be what you want to be.
- Never criticize yourself as having a weakness. You do not have any weakness, only untapped potential.
- Be pleasant all the time. No matter what the situation is.
- Challenge yourself to do things differently than you have in the past. It provides new ideas and keeps you interested.
- Talk to yourself. A self-talk using positive affirmation is something that is common among all great achievers.
- Keep your goals listed and pictured on your board.
- Stay interested in what you are doing. Change your perspective and loot as it as someone outside your job would.
- Establish personal incentives and rewards to help maintain your own high enthusiasm and performance level.
Vinod Chandrashekhar Dixit