“Great mixture of flavors and textures, and a simple way to prepare Fish in Yogurt Curry”
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
1 pound tilapia fillets, cut into 1- to 2-inch pieces
1 cup plain, yogurt
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
5 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
1 medium red onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Mix together the turmeric, black pepper, cayenne pep-per, and caraway seeds. Add the tilapia pieces and toss to coat. Cover and let sit for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- In a blender, combine the yogurt and flour and set aside.Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mustard seeds and cook, stir-ring, until sputtering and fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring, until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and curry powder and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the cream and the yogurt mixture and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the sauce is thick, about 5 minutes.
- In a nonstick pan, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Gently fry the seasoned fish until crisp on both sides, about 3 minutes per side.
- Add the yogurt mixture to the fried fish and simmer until fish is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and serve hot, garnished with fresh cilantro.