Once you try this incredible Indian roasted eggplant dish, there’s no turning back!
- 1 kg. eggplant
- 4 garlic cloves, quartered
- 3 tbsp ghee
- 2 red onions
- 1 green chili pepper, chopped
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp salt and more to taste
- fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Make a few small slits in the eggplant and stuff the slits with the garlic cloves.
- Roast the eggplant over open flame on the stove or in the oven for about 10-15 minutes. Turn often to make sure it’s thoroughly roasted. When it’s roasted on all sides, cover with foil and let cool.
- When the eggplant has cooled, peel the skin off and chop roughly until you get a mash.
- Heat the ghee in a saucepan and add onion. Season with salt. Once the onions are slightly browned, add chopped green chili pepper and chopped tomatoes.
- Season with turmeric and chili powder. Cook for 5 minutes or until the tomatoes begin to break down. Add water if needed, but only a little.
- Add eggplant mash, season with salt and cook for another 2-3 minutes with the lid on.
- Garnish with butter and fresh cilantro.