4 Policemen martyred in Shopian, DGP pays tributes; Militants escape with three service rifles

SRINAGAR, AUG 29: Four policemen lost their lives in a terrorist attack in Shopian district today.
According to reports, militants fired at the escort of Deputy Superintendent of Police (DySP) headquarters Shopian at Arhama this afternoon, resulting in injuries to four policemen.
Four policemen sustained severe gunshot wounds and were evacuated to a nearby hospital for immediate medical attention. However, all the four succumbed to their injuries.
The slain policemen were identified as Constables Ishfaq Ahmad Mir, Javaid Ahmad Bhat, Mohammad Iqbal Mir and Special Police Officer (SPO) Adil Manzoor Bhat.
The area was cordoned off following the attack, and a manhunt was launched to arrest the attackers.
The terrorists fled after attacking cops. Three weapons of the martyred policemen were also taken away by the militants. The martyred cops were attac-hed to a Deputy Superint-endent of Police in Shopian.
Reports said the senior Police Officer was not with the escort party which was going for repairs of the vehicle when it came under attack.
The Pakistan-based Jaish-e-Muhammad (JeM) outfit took joint responsibility along with the Hizbul Mujahideen for the attack in Shopian.
According to reports, the militants decamped with three service rifles of the policemen.
Meanwhile, Police paid floral tribute to four martyrs.
A wreath laying ceremony was held in District Police Line (DPL) Pulwama, where floral tributes were paid to the martyrs, who gave supreme sacrifice of their lives in the militant attack.
Director General of Police (DGP), S P Vaid led police, civil officers and jawans in laying the floral wreaths on the bodies of the martyrs.
Meanwhile, a top Hizbul Mujahideen commander and his associate were killed today in a gunfight with the security forces in Anantnag district.
The two militants were killed in the Khanabal area gun battle. They have been identified as top Hizbul commander Altaf Ahmad Dar alias Altaf Kachroo and his associate as Umar Rashid.
The gunfight started earlier in the day after the security forces surrounded Binpora village following information about the presence of the militants there.
“As the joint forces of the Rashtriya Rifles (RR), Special Operations Group (SOG) of State Police and the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) approached the house, the holed up militants fired upon them triggering the encounter,” a Police Officer had said.
“Firing exchanges have now stopped. The bodies of the slain militants and their weapons have been recovered,” the officer said.
Kachroo belonging to Redwani village of Kulgam district carried a reward of Rs 15 lakh on his head. His killing is being seen as a major success in the anti-militancy operations in the south Kashmir area.
Curfew has been announced in Anantnag town to maintain law and order.
Clashes between stone pelting youth and the security forces are now going on in the area.
Authorities suspended train services between Baramulla and Bannihil towns immediately after the gunfight started.
Mobile Internet services have also been suspended as a precautionary measure in Anantnag and Kulgam districts.