Life comes to grinding halt due to strike in Kashmir

Srinagar, Apr 12: Life came to a grinding halt on Thursday in the Valley due to a strike called by Separatists against the death of four people in security force action on demonstrators, who have been protesting near an encounter site in Kulgam.
Meanwhile, curfew-like restrictions have been imposed in areas falling under police stations M R Gunj, Nowhatta, Safa Kadal, Khanyar and Rainwari in Shehar-e-Khas (SeK), downtown and parts of old city and civil lines in summer capital as a precautionary measure.
Business and other activities remained crippled in main business hubs of the city, including historic Lal Chowk, Budshah Chowk, Regal Chowk, Maisuma, Hari Singh High Street (HSHS), Batmaloo, Moulana Azad Road, Residency Road and Dalgate.
Additional security forces were seen patrolling the streets in restriction-free areas in Srinagar to prevent any untoward incident. Hundreds of security forces and state police personnel were deployed in major towns and tehsil headquarters in south Kashmir, where business and other activities were completely paralyzed, including in Anantnag, Kulgam, Pulwama and Shopian. Security has also been beefed up along Srinagar-Jammu national highway to prevent any protests.
Life was also affected in Budgam and Ganderbal. A report from Baramulla said life was crippled in this and other north Kashmir towns and tehsil headquarters. Additional security forces have been deployed in entire north Kashmir.
Large number of security forces have been deployed on all bridges, connecting down town with civil lines in Baramulla and Sopore towns.
Joint Resistance Leadership (JRL), comprising Syed Ali Shah Geelani, Mirwaiz Moulvi Omar Farooq and Mohammad Yaseen Malik, has called for a general strike against the civilian deaths.
Four youths died and several others were injured when security forces allegedly opened fire and fired pellets to disperse demonstrators, who tried to march towards an area where an encounter, in which an Army soldier was killed, was going on. Both the trapped militants managed to escape.