3 LeT militants killed in encounter

Srinagar, Aug 5: Three Lashker-e-Toiba (LeT) militants were killed and a constable was injured in a fierce encounter in north Kashmir district of Baramulla early this morning while three over ground workers were also arrested.
With elimination of three more militants today, eight militants and three civilians have been killed and two Army personnel, including a Major, martyred in separate encounters during the first five days of August.
Official sources here said that troops of 52 Rashtriya Rifles (RR), 92, 177 and 179 Battallion Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and Special Operation Group (SOG) of Jammu and Kashmir launched a joint search operation on a specific information about the presence of militants at Jamia Mohalla, Amargarh, Sopore, in Baramulla district early this morning.
They said when the security forces were moving towards the particular area in the cordoned off area, the militants hiding their resorted to indiscriminate firing with automatic weapons. Security forces also retaliated ensuing an encounter, they said, adding that militants left the house and were caught in an open field in the area.
Later, all the three militants were killed and a police constable was injured in the encounter, they said, adding that there was no damage to any property. A police spokesman said the identity of the slain militants was being ascertained. Three AK rifles with magazines and other arms and ammunition were recovered from the militants, he said. This was the first encounter in north Kashmir in August.
Meanwhile three Over Ground Workers (OGWs) of Lashker-e-Toiba (LeT) were arrested today by security forces in Shopian district, a police spokesman said here.
He said acting on a tip-off, a joint naka of police and 62 Rashtriya Rifles was established near Nagbal in police jurisdiction of Zainapora.
During checking, three OGWs of LeT identified as Showkat Ahmad Mir, a resident of Chitragam; Waseem Ahmad Sofi, a resident of Chitragam Kalan; and Junaid Ali Bhat, a resident of Sugoo Hindhama were apprehended. Three hand grenades were recovered from them.
Later during questioning, the OGWs admitted that they were working at behest of LeT operative Wasim Shah and were tasked to lob grenades at police establishments to cause death and injuries and snatch weapons in Shopian. They had also carried out observation of some police guards to perpetrate terrorist attacks. Shopian police have registered a case and investigation was set into motion, he said.